Monday, September 22, 2014

Kim

Very seldom do I turn on my television to watch anything other than the daily news. Just before I sat down to began the assigned reading, I was scrolling through the television guide and, coincidentally, Kim was playing. Lucky me! Let me first note that I had not opened the book prior to seeing the movie. I tuned in after about 15 minutes into the movie because I was experiencing overwhelming emotions of excitement and anxiety, while trying to be sure that I was watching the right movie.

I must first say that, had I not watched the movie first, there is no way I would have made it past the first page of this book. The reading is not the most difficult text I have read but, an unfamiliarity with the language and culture makes it an intimidating read.

Much to my surprise, Kim was very much engaging to say the least. From the very beginning I was most intrigued by how Kim identifies himself. Obviously, this boy is far beyond his years. The absence of his parents leaves him with no choice but to grow up quick. Despite the absence of his biological parents, he encounters many parental-like relationships that contribute to his Bildungsroman.

When Kim and Lama set out for their journey to find the river, the lama is startled by the train. Kim looks at him, a man of many years his senior, and says something like, "Don't be afraid, because when I was a child I was afraid too". He puts himself in the position of an adult. Later, the lama sends Kim off to school, which he is very much displeased. He spends a great deal of time trying to finesse his way out out going. Kim tells the lama that he is already wise and does not need an education.  When he arrives to the school, Xavier, he reacts as if the teachings and ways are an insult to his intelligence. For a great portion of his life he's become accustomed to a lifestyle of freedom that is hindered by schooling. I don't want to give too many examples since the film exposed me beyond our readings.


It took me a long while to understand what appeal this novel might have to children, or how this story would classify as children's literature. Through a very small scope, Kim lives a very fascinating life. There are too many dense details and events that distract us from realizing that Kim is a real-life spy!

2 comments:

  1. Asia,

    How lucky! I don't have cable, so I never watch television either, but what are the odds? That must have been so fun for you!

    I definitely agree with you that reading the first few chapters of Kim was rough. The language is foreign and much of the subtext, I feel, is lost because we don't know/understand the culture. Nevertheless, I found the first part of this book to be fascinating due to its complete exotic appeal. The exoticism, in my opinion, is what made this book a children's novel. Adventure novels, like The Jungle Book and Huck Finn have such a unique ability to transport children to different places...sometimes better places.

    However, not only are the children transported to different places, but they are also seeing these places through another child's eyes. Though Kim does not seem to be a child, he still has a youthful quality and desire about him: the want and need for adventure with little concern for the consequences. Nevertheless, because he has no parents, Kim has much less to loose, making this journey all the more inviting.

    Thanks!

    Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Asia,

    More often than not, I find myself afraid to see a film production of a novel before reading it, for fear that the movie adaptation will spoil my take on the novel. However, it seems that this version of Kim has enhanced your reading of it, which makes me a little jealous!

    I am totally in the same boat, in regards to the difficulty of this first section of reading. The introductory material certainly helped to ground the novel, but it was also a lot to absorb. I also noticed the fact that Kim seems wise beyond his years, taking an almost parental role towards the Lama, and having knowledge about the inner workings of the world around him. He is certainly a resourceful and admirable character, and it's easy to see why children would be drawn to him.

    Have a good one!
    Shelby.

    ReplyDelete